Friday, September 26, 2008

The Past, Present & Future



I took this picture. I was putting together an ad for a small boutique in Banning California. It looked so pretty in the window. Like something in Italy or Spain. I heard on the radio today that only the uber rich can travel to Europe anymore. It takes a lot of money to make sure you're safe now days. How sad. My memories of Germany and Italy and all the places my family went to when dad was in the military feel more like a movie. I was so young when we lived there and traveled. I remember the things a child would remember. The food, the airplanes and castles. How long it took in the car to get to the places we went to and the toy shops in the little villages and how the toys were miniatures of real things. I once found this little wash machine that really worked. My parents would let us get a toy and they were always generous and kind. They wanted Anna and I to have fun when we were little.

My dad grew up in a children's home. His parents divorced when he was four years old and his father got custody of all the kids so he gave them to his brothers and sisters and a few of them went to the local children's home. My dad, my aunt Sonya and uncle Pat were together there. Aunt Sharon, went to my great aunt Pernal's and uncle Ronnie stayed with grandma because grandpa didn't claim him as his. Even though Ronnie was the spitting image of his father. My dad never got to see his mother or his baby brother. I didn't find out until a few years ago why. My grandfather was insanely jealous of my grandmother's admirers and lied in court when they got their divorce saying she was a prostitute so the court would award him the kids. Back in the 40s that was unheard of and it was a lie. He took her family away from her. I was devastated when I learned the truth about what happened. I didn't know how much of it my father knew when he grew up. My aunt Sonya told me what happened when she and I were talking after my fiance Ray died. Aunt Sonya lost a fiancee too. My mother had her call me and talk to me about everything. That's when she told me what really happened all those years ago to everyone.

I loved my grandparents very much, both of them. Why do people who divorce have to hurt each other so badly? Especially when there are children involved. No one would believe it was the truth, the story of my father's family sounds like a movie script. My father turned out to be a wonderful, kind man who chose to take the high road in life and not be bitter or hateful to either of his parents. I don't know if I could have been that forgiving. He never felt sorry for himself and he had every reason to. He was an example of making lemonade from lemons. I wish he had written his story.

So many people die without writing their stories. The stories of their lives die with them. I don't know all the details of what happened but I know my grandmother must have suffered horribly. I know she hid in the bushes and behind trees at the children's home just to get a glimpse of her kids. I know that once they were old enough to leave the home they were loyal and loving children to her for the rest of her life. I remember it looked like college buildings from the outside. To dad it looked like a prison. Red brick buildings and fine manicured lawns. I know that "Mom" & "Pop" Nagel who raised my father were like another set of grandparents to Anna and I. They would give us gifts every time we went to visit them with my parents. Pop Nagel smoked a cigar and to this day when I smell one I think of him. Funny how your memories as a child stick with you your whole life. Certain things do anyway.

It's been a quiet day. My last day with Eloise. I got up early and took Harley for her exam at the vets. Three puppies are due next week. I just pray they are all healthy and whole. Harley looks so uncomfortable and she sleeps all day long. Poor baby. I've played with Eloise a lot today. She is such a little pistol. She gets Taz on her back and plays with her and I just laugh at the two of them. Taz lets her win and it's so cute! Taz has really changed this week with my change toward her. She's sleeping with me and she and Tank haven't had a fight all week long. I feel bad that I didn't do this sooner. I also took up their community food dish and I'm feeding them one at a time not all together. THAT was huge. Taz is still learning but I just feel we are really on to something.

Eloise will have a happy life with Megan and Jason. She is so outgoing and fun. She hasn't missed Lola much because she's been playing with the other dogs all day and Lola has two pugs to get to know and play with at her home. I'm sure the girls will be raised wonderfully. We lucked out to find the perfect homes for them.

~Adele~

No comments: