
Okay I promised in an earlier blog that I'd explain my choice to quit working in the advertising world and stay home with my puppies. Well except for the obvious reasons of puppy breath and unconditional love I thought I'd enclose this example of the corporate world to illustrate my experience. I was one of the birds on the bottom. There are times in your life when you feel validated and times when you feel demoralized. My experience with Money Mailer here in Colorado left me with little respect for the owner and manager and the desire to get as far away from both of them as possible. I did achieve the highest honor in sales for the company in 8 months though. I was inducted into the All Star Club for selling over 500 spots or ads in a one year time period. Although I did it in eight months. Taryn's surgeries and dad's death took some of my concentration off of my job but it couldn't have done a whole lot of damage since I did become an All Star in spite of everything. I know I'm a great sales man. My father always told me I could sell glasses to a blind man. Maybe I could if I loved what I did. That for me is the key. To truly love what you do in life. When I started with Money Mailer I believed in what was being sold and slowly over the 18 months I was there I lost my ability to do that. I have to respect the people I work with and because of events that happened on a monthly basis I began to lose that respect for them. There was dishonesty, greed, lies and an over all feeling of ruthless competition that made it impossible for me to thrive. I never worked so hard for so little before in my entire sales career. I am an advocate of not saying anything unless you can say something good but this was bitterly disappointing. People were promoted for their appearance and others who had no sales talent were given accounts because they were well liked. This sickened me and I finally couldn't tolerate it anymore. I quit at a time when Taryn needed me home and so did Christian. I finished helping raise Harley's litter which I loved. I never have looked back. It's soured me on working for a company with this kind of higharchy. The guy on the top can be Hitler or he or she can be Mother Teresa. Either way you get the picture of the bird on the bottom. It's not for me. I'll work hard to work for myself from now on. When all my little girls have had four litters each I'll retire from "bulldogging" and dive into health insurance. I could do it along with the bulldogs too. I haven't decided that completely yet. Either way I work for me. No more bird at the bottom!
~Adele~
No comments:
Post a Comment