My dad was a business man after he retired from the Army. He bought a jewelry store and managed it for many years when I was in high school and college. Needless to say he was always dressed impecabley and had a closet full of suits and ties. When he died last year my sister had a quilt made from his shirts. I got his ties. I'm going to a quilting class today and making a quilt from his ties. I'm excited because I stumbled onto this class totally by accident. I went into this fabric store that was next door to the Diet Center where I go to weigh in every few days just to see if there was anyone there who would refer me to someone who could make me a quilt out of dad's ties. The girl who I talked to in the store said they could do better than that, then she showed me the quilt hanging on the wall made of men's ties and it was gorgeous. I knew this was the quilt I was supposed to make dad's ties into. I knew I was supposed to learn this craft and he would be pleased that I did it myself. So I bit the bullet and signed up for the class, bought a sewing machine took a deep breath and said, here goes! Have you ever had that happen? Meant to do something one way and ended up doing it entirely different because you were led in another direction? That happens to me a lot. I think the spirit speaks to us all the time but we don't always listen. We don't always acknowledge the Lord's hand in our lives or realize just how involved he is with our development and our choices. Opportunity is before us daily and we either see it or we don't. I've always believed in perspective. The glass is half full in my life and usually always has been. I'm filling it up constantly and when you're pouring yourself out it's imperitive that you look for ways to fill yourself up. Today I'm learning how to do that better. I think dad would be proud of me. I know he is.
~Adele~
2 comments:
What a great way to honor the memory of your father! I hope you post a picture when you are done!
Yes, please post a picture when you are done. I love that idea! I also know what you mean by the spirit leading us in different directions sometimes. I am so grateful for that in my life also.
Post a Comment