Friday, October 3, 2008

Loss



I've dealt with a lot of loss lately. Cynthia died almost two months ago and this morning my sister called and her baby doxie who fought so hard to survive passed away. They think it was something genetic that all of a sudden shut down her kidneys and liver. There wasn't any hope and still she clung to life for almost a week. She was only five years old which is very young for an animal to die. Most of the pets in my family live well into their old age because we take such good care of them. Anna has such a kind heart and she is so wonderful to people and animals that seeing her go through this is heart breaking for me. Matt, Cynthia's husband said in one of his blogs lately that he had learned what it meant to mourn with those who mourn. It goes beyond compassion because you find out where the pain comes from and feel it too. You take some of it so that person can bear to feel anything at all. My good friend Brenda Johnson helped me cope with Ray's death and so did my mom and Shawn. I had a visiting teacher, Laura Betts, who just sat with her arms around me for days. Just reminding me to breathe. It was all I could manage.

Sometimes the world is cruel and harsh. It takes away our joys and reminds us how precious life really is. Today I'm grieving for my sister. I sit "Shiva" for little Zena. She gave us all such joy and love.

~ Adele ~

5 comments:

Pancake said...

So sorry for all your losses

Kim said...

Adele,
You have had a lot of loses in your life! Can I ask, Who was Ray?
Life is quiet here...wish I can take one of your sweet puppies!
Kim

Adele Marshall said...

Ray was my fiance who was killed six months after we got engaged in 2003. It was after Jamie and I broke up and I met him at work. He died of a heart attack. He was 37. He was one of the store managers at Banner Mattress in Riverside. We had this whirlwind romance and I was happier than I'd ever been in my life. We were two peas in a pod and were inseparable. Until he disappeared on his day off. Some hikers found his body six weeks later in the foothills of Jurupa where he'd been hiking. He was in the middle of a nasty divorce so the police notified his soon to be ex wife and she never told me they had even found him until he'd already been cremated. Christian was very close to him and it was horrible for both of us. It took me years to even begin to trust someone again. I did his temple work and maybe that was my purpose in his life. You still end up wondering what might have been. It was very sad but I went to therapy and learned how to let it all go. I'm happy now. I know my dad is with Ray and teaching him the gospel. That part is pretty cool.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness! I had NO idea. I knew that you had gone through some hard things during that time but I had NO idea! (At least you know that you weren't being gossiped about - or I was not in the loop!) But in 2003, I was very wrapped up in finishing school and some difficult family things of my own! Makes you realize that we all have such variety of difficulties. Those weeks must of have been so very difficult - not knowing what happened. Here's a very belated {{{{hug!}}} Kim

Mindy said...

I am sorry to hear about your losses. Wow, it sounds like you have good friends and family to support you. Take Care!