Monday, October 13, 2008

A Linus Day

Today is a Linus Day. I'm hanging out on the couch with my blankee. I did all the morning chores, fed the dogs, made Craig his breakfast sandwich and got the laundry and dishes all taken care of and cuddled up with my blanket. Sometimes I'm grateful for days like this. Low maintenance. I've really cut back the maintenance in my life in the last ten years. It seems the older I got the simpler I got. I like that a LOT. I still can look in the mirror and think I'm "cute" and elegant in an earthy kind of way. I was always a barefoot kind of girl anyway. I think a beach wedding is the most romantic and beautiful idea there is. I always wanted to get sealed in the temple then go out on the beach in bare feet and a wispy gauze dress with my hair down and hold hands with my groom and do it again with the water washing over our feet and soaking my hem of the dress. I love flowers in my hair and wild colored nail polish. Big clunky necklaces and piercings. I secretly want my belly button pierced! Don't tell Craig! I want a small tattoo on my shoulder. A dragonfly. He doesn't know much about the flower child in me. But she's there.

Years ago when I was watching an episode of Ally McBeal when she was told she needed a theme song. All would be in place in her world as soon as she put music to her life. I picked a "theme" song. Talking Heads, And She Was. I've been known to sing that song into curling irons or wooden spoons and dance in the kitchen or wherever I am at the time. I was always the last roommate in college to wear the cool clothes. I braided my hair in small braids down the sides of my long hair like I once saw Juliet do in the first version of Romeo & Juliet. I loved that movie. Although I couldn't imagine being in love or married at 15. A little crazy there. I didn't get married until I was 27. I did a lot of living and had a lot of fun before I settled down and got married. I wanted to travel more though. I had a boyfriend at the Univ. of Utah who wanted to go over to Europe together and ride the metro trains and just see it all. France, Austria, Spain, Belgium, a little here and a little there. I almost went. That was back when it was safe to do things like that. Marc was not LDS and he was as different as anyone I'd ever met from Mars. He believed prostitution should be legalized and when he would argue a point it was like watching smoke move. He is a brilliant lawyer to this day I'm sure. But he wasn't for me. I knew that early on.



It's kind of interesting to me how my thoughts just find a way to go all by themselves sometimes. Like when it rains and the water just changes directions when it runs down the panes of glass. Here and there and it's all so pretty. Well here we go again. I did three squares of my father's quilt. I don't know how it will look when it's all done. There are so many ways to do this and when I get all the squares done I'll lay it all out and pick the way it will look. I didn't do them perfect but then I'm not perfect and I like it that way. I'm hopelessly flawed. I think it will give the quilt a charm that won't be found anywhere else. I've never been a perfectionist. I run over my pins and break needles and "do it wrong" according to teachers. But it gets done. And sometimes I even find I like it better than the original technique.

Be yourself. No matter what and no matter how. Be silly and be YOU. I can't show all of me to everyone. I can with Shawn and I can with Taryn my daughter. We are kindred spirits. I've been so blessed in my life to have found many kindred spirits. Most people are lucky to find one. I have been given many beautiful friends. Cynthia was a kindred spirit. I miss her. I miss knowing she's here but I know she exists. That's comforting. What a grand reunion dying is going to bring. As I get older I don't fear as much as I did when I was young. Everyone I loved was on this side of the veil. Now as I get older more and more of my loved ones are there.

It's Columbus Day today. A huge day off. So I'm back to my blankee and my couch. In between puppies and laundry! Oh! We officially sold Bunny yesterday. Katie Porter and her fiance Jon are buying her. She will have an amazing home!

~Adele~

No comments: