Friday, November 7, 2008

Thomas Kincaide



I've always loved Thomas Kincaide's paintings. This one is called Seaside Hideaway. There is something about them that makes you feel like you could walk right into them and live there. It's a comfortable feeling when I see one and I've always wanted to own one of his paintings. I checked it out recently and they are well over four thousand dollars for one. I guess I won't have one of my own but I can admire them from afar. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a painting when I have kids in college and food storage to complete.

I do have this beautiful picture I got years ago of a covered bridge. Same thing. I felt like it spoke to me. I could walk on that path to the bridge and live there. I never got tired of looking at it. It was as if that one moment in time was frozen just for me. When my mom moved in with my sister and we divided up all the family belongings last June, I got quite a few of the pictures and wall art. I remember where my mother had them all hanging in our house in New York and the various places she and my dad lived. It's a good feeling to have those things that tie me to my past. I even got a plate that used to belong to my great great great grandmother Rose. She was my great grandfather's mother. It's a beautiful rose china plate that was probably part of a set at one time. I bet she treasured it because in those days you just didn't have things like that without great sacrifice. Someday I'll pass it down to someone in my family who will cherish it too. You always hope you get one child who will do that. I wonder who will get my painting of the covered bridge.

~Adele~

No comments: