Sunday, May 3, 2009

Phases



There are all kinds of phases in life. People come and go in our lives leaving these imprints on our souls. Sometimes it's a phrase or a habit we pick up from them. My college roommate Sarah used to call everyone "Little woman" and I still do that 30 years later. She would call things she couldn't remember a "dig", as in "Give me that little "dig" over there". When you admire someone you pick up things they do and they become part of you. I noticed my daughter started smiling like a good friend of hers. She picked up that little smile from her friend. I know I've done this too.

I love this picture because it reminds me of Garrison, my 23 year old son when he was little. He was always so busy and building things when we would go to the beach. He never seemed to stop moving. He has grown up to become an amazing man. Strong and confident and I admire him a lot. He over came a very challenging childhood and is strong because of it. He's funny and witty and intelligent. When Jamie left us he became the head of our home. He took on his brother and sister and helped raise them. I was grateful for that. He worked for Papa John's delivering pizza and he would come home at night with a cheese pizza for his little brother and quietly put it in the fridge before going home to his apartment. It was so sweet for him to do that. He knew how much Christian loved cheese pizza.

It all went so fast. He was a little boy just yesterday. Now he's a grown up man with a family. I couldn't love him more and it's such a privilege to be his mom.

Adele

No comments: