
Taryn and her little brother Christian, both my graduates!

Taryn and Christian at Kayla's graduation. Kayla is Taryn's best friend.

Christian at Red Rocks. The camera wigged out and ruined the shots. I'm going up there in a few days with both Taryn and Christian for new pictures as soon as the weather is nicer.
Now why is it that whenever I shampoo my carpets I get sick? Is there something about getting up all that dirt and the moisture and the yucky stuff that comes out that my body just can't handle? I wanted the house all nice and clean for Christian's graduation weekend. Lots of people were going to be here and the big celebration and just time for some Spring cleaning, so I dragged out the heavy artillery. It was wonderful to see the spots come out of my carpet and see how pretty it all looks. This was Wednesday night and then Thursday I felt the soreness. No problem. I expected a little of that. Then it hurt to walk. I'd pulled a ham string on my right leg. Great. Now all day Friday I'd be limping at the ceremony. Then the sniffles and by Saturday the full blown sore throat and cough. By Sunday the runny nose and chills. Lovely. I HATE getting sick. Reallllly cramps my style. If I don't get enough rest and fluids I'm in for at least a few weeks. This happened to me the first week of December last year too. I"d skipped taking my Melaleuca vitamins for a while thinking I didn't need them and I got sick. So this is a phenominon I should know better than to repeat? I've started taking them again and I feel much better.
I"m on the last day of my HCG protocol and I have lost a total of 28 pounds. I haven't written about HCG because it's kind of controversial. There are people out there who don't believe in it but Craig and I had a few close friends who tried it and each lost 30 to 40 pounds with it so I did what i usually do and read everything I could get my hands on about it. It made good sense to me. Especially the part where it explains weight gain and how some people can burn calories and others store them. It's indiscriminate and hereditary how we store fat in our bodies. I'm genetically predisposed to storing fat. I don't burn it like most people with a normal metabolism. My little hypathalmus gland is lazy and doesn't kick in when my normal fat reserve over flows. I always thought something like this was going on because I could eat the very same food as Jamie, my ex husband and he would not gain a pound and I would! How unfair was that? I just thought it was the fate of a woman and in some ways I was right but in others I was wrong. My eating habits needed to change forever and they have.
I've started eating lean ground chicken and not eating bread anymore. I use lettuce leaves for sandwiches and have found a natural sweetner called Stevia that I use to make things taste good. It's not chemical at all and is actually good for you. I drink a gallon of water a day and lots of fruits and vegetables. Very little oil or fat and whole grain organic crackers. Everything organic and as little processed foods as possible. No MSG and eating out. Restaurants are notorious for huge proportions and cooking with fats. I've been watching the Food channel on TV and learning how to do things like cook with garlic and braising and roasting things. So fun! I'm loving cooking for my family and it's less expensive. I love herbs and spices now and my favorite lately is ginger and rosemary. Both are incredible spices!
Cooking has always been one of my family talents. My father was a chef in the Army and my grandfather a chef at a famous hotel in New York. My sister went to culinary arts school and I always took the short cuts when I cooked but now I'm learning the fun stuff like everyone else. I love it! I cook with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I spend hours in Vitamin Cottage and Whole Foods looking for interesting things that will make dishes taste better and help them be more healthy for my family.
Taryn is doing okay. She's going to go see my sister's doctor, Christopher Raeburn, over at the University Hospital and from there we'll figure out the next step. We are scared and have good reason to be but both of us feel good about Dr. Raeburn and a different hospital this time. She wants her friends to support her this time and I hope they do. Too many of them felt obligated to "care" before and she felt it. I knew how she felt when she said that and I realized that our hearts are so fragile when it comes to faith in our friends. Do they really love us completely or do they say what is expected and go rush off to their lives to be busy in there? Do I truly give my heart to my friends too? When they need me do I sincerely give? Or just wait for my turn to talk? Do I listen? All very important questions.
She is scared of the pain. The surgeries hurt terribly and are scary because every time this happens it is a risk that she won't make it back. She broke down and cried about it and I just listened to her scream and rant. She needed to get mad. She needed to shake her fist at anything that would listen and express the frustration. The expense, the time, the risks the unfairness of it all. No one asks to be sick. No one asks for trials. But they come to us. In so many forms. We are ALL called to endure it. She isn't the only one affected by her tumors. All of us are. This is a lesson for me and one for her brothers, and one for her father, and everyone who knows her.
So I learn that shampooing my carpet makes me sick. Take my vitamins faithfully before stirring up all that dirt. Listen with my heart to my loved ones and shut up. Realize that the lessons are mine too not just theirs. That friends sometimes have busy lives and don't have the sensitivity I crave when I need it. That's what family is for. Pets who are unconditionally ready to give me their affection and admiration. That God can handle my anger and loves me more than I"ll ever know.
Every day the lessons come.
Adele
No comments:
Post a Comment