Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Thoughts




I love to write. It's been a while since I posted anything here though. I follow facebook every day now and I'm also taking a writing class that is taking up some time. Recently I've tried to keep caught up on piles of stuff to do and have managed to file it all and make dozens of calls a day to clear up issues that arrive in the mail. A lot of them are medical bills for Taryn and arranging to make monthly payments on them. It always amazes me how many details of life are given to me in that pile of mail at the end of the day. Craig checks the mail every day and plops the mess on the kitchen counter and gladly passes the torch to me where it's all concerned. I don't resent it either, it's my job. I gladly take care of things because I'm kind of like that. I need to have that control and I don't want to fight with my significant other over it. I know I can fix things and I'm good at it. My dad was good at it too. Maybe I get that from him.

I'm going to write a book about my father. He always wanted me to write a book and what better topic than his life? He had a colorful life and his little sister Sonya is still alive and so is his sister Sharon so I'm going to tape conversations with them over the phone and gather up all this information for his biography. I'm excited about it. I am taking this writing class and learning how to write dialogue and how to tell a story in a way that is appealing to people. I've always been able to write and I do it every day it's just different when you're trying to imagine what might be interesting to people.

Taryn didn't have her surgery on the first of July. The doctor's office didn't get insurance clearance on a procedure she needed and we felt it was a sign that we shouldn't do it. Both Taryn and I were having bad feelings about the surgery and when we walked out of the hospital that day I felt so light I could have floated to my car. I don't know what all that means but the sense of relief was alarming in some ways. I don't know what might of happened that day but I'm grateful we have new surgeons and a different hospital to do her surgery in. God leads us where he wants us to go if we pay attention. Sometimes it's by a hair's breath we do the right things.

So now we are in a holding pattern and waiting to see the new doctors. I'm going to take Christian and Taryn on a road trip to see my best friend Annie Norris. She is my little mermaid and the reason I have such a love affair going with the sea. She lived on a boat in the San Pedro Harbor in California for a few years a while back. After Ray died I went to her boat and would sit on top of it at night and stare up at the stars. The sky was so dark and the stars so twinkling and promising. I wondered which star was Ray and if he could see me there missing him. There are moments in your life that stick with you and come to you so clearly you can almost relive them. I've had many moments like that with Annie. She is a kindred spirit and my "sister" in so many wonderful ways. I'm excited to see her and spend a few days with her in Utah. Taryn is excited too and I love to see that in her.

I'll try and be more faithful about writing in this blog. It's been almost a year since Cynthia Milligan died. She passed away the first week of August. So much has happened in her family's lives since then. Matt her husband is remarried and her daughter graduated from high school and is going to Ricks College. I think they are all okay but Matt stopped blogging a few months ago when it got nearer to his wedding. I wanted him to find happiness. I miss Cynthia so much and although we hadn't talked in a long time I feel her sometimes. She made me so many beautiful cross stitches and they are framed and hanging in my home. She's everywhere and I love that. I love the little reminders of her. I love thinking of her beautiful face and how I blog now because of her. She inspired me to do this and I'll be forever grateful to her for this and so many other things. We never know the influence we can have over others by the simplest things.

I love you Cynthia, thanks for being the beautiful girl you are.

Adele

No comments: