Saturday, April 25, 2009

Christian's Road Rash



This is a picture of a long board. Since Christian lost his car to his three tickets last fall he's been a good sport about taking the bus and light rail to work and from here to there occasionally he rides this long board. The best way to describe it is a surf board on wheels. Well he was on his way to work Wednesday at Little Cesaer's and booking down a hill when a car side swiped him to get some sort of sick thrill and caused him to lose his balance and fall. He was very lucky he fell away from traffic to the side of the road and didn't hit anything but the pavement. He got his right shoulder messed up, elbow, knee, left foot and side scraped with road rash. He was going so fast that when he touched his foot down to stop he lost his left shoe and tore a hole in his sock and lost a toe nail off his next to the last toe on his foot! He called me to come get him and once I realized what had happened I was so angry I wanted to call the police and asked him if he could identify the car or license plate. He looked at me with that "get real mom" look and said he was a little busy trying to survive so he didn't get out his trusty Bic and write down a plate number! I laughed in spite of it all. Sometimes as parents we ask the stupid questions even when we know the answers. I just couldn't imagine someone doing that to anyone for the thrill of seeing them fall. There are dangerous people out there who shouldn't be air sucking intruders in my opinion.

I took him to the doctor and had him checked out and cleaned up. He's got a contusion on his right leg and a bunch of nasty scrapes. It could have been worse. A LOT worse. He could have been killed. I was hit with that realization after the whole thing happened and I was sitting in the doctor's office. Dr. Quick said for him to wear a helmet from now on and he's very lucky he didn't hit his head against a sign or pole or something that could have killed him. Geesh! I've been driving him to work ever since. One more thing to thank Heavenly Father for.

Adele

No comments: