Friday, July 16, 2010

My Past



Today I found out that a friend of mine from a very long time ago passed away eight years ago. Dr. Hirsche and his wife Sandy died in a plane crash in 2002. I worked for Dr. Hirsche when I was 23 as his office receptionist. I remember he always smelled good like men's cologne. He was brilliant and dedicated to his gifts. He was generous and kind. He took the entire office staff of nurses and front office workers to Lake Powell on a one week vacation when I worked there. It was a memory I'll never forget. We were on a house boat together and went boating and exploring and had jet skiis to ride. He had a wonderful smile and he was always willing to listen if you needed to talk. He went to Harvard and had six beautiful children. That was such a difficult time in my life because my first marriage to Darryl Hutchings was ending and he was so compassionate and kind to me. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had my work "family" around me. I miss him and I can't imagine how his children must feel. Losing both loving parents at the same time would be devastating. As if that weren't enough when I googled his name I found that his oldest son Blayne was killed the following year! I remember Blayne very well. He was a troubled teenager but so very bright. I guess I lost track of the family when I left Utah and went to California before I got married and had children.

Today is a day of gratitude. I'm grateful I have memories of Dr. Hirsche and Sandy and Blayne. I'm grateful I have my children around me and that today I woke up. I get to play with five beautiful puppies that were delivered this morning and I'm a loved and happy woman. Life is glorious and I feel like every day I appreciate it more.

Adele

No comments: